Penn's mother was of German birth, so Penn was aware of the industriousness of these sturdy people and knew they represented the type of people he needed to develop a new colony. Because of the unfavorable religious, political, and economic climate in Germany and Switzerland, Pennsylvania was blessed with a migration of fine craftsmen and farmers who were an important factor in the growth and economic wealth of the future Commonwealth.
The area in which they settled was known as Londonderry, since the Scotch-Irish were here before the Germans. However, they had no knowledge of farming and readily relinquished any claims to land owned by William Penn. The Swatara Creek separates North Londonderry Township from East Hanover, and the Quittapahilla Creek divides it from North Annville Township.
These German settlers worshipped around family altars which soon became common altars. John Casper Stoever performed pastoral acts among these groups in 1733, 1736, 1739, and 1740. As their numbers outgrew their available quarters, a member of one of the groups, Hans Bindnagle, donated five acres and twenty perches of ground for a church site on January 27, 1753. An altar cloth initialed HBN under the date of 1754 indicated the year of the consecration of the first church.
Rev. Stoever served until Ascension Day, May 13, 1779, when he died while in the act of confirming a class of catechumens at the Hill Church, north of Cleona.
We know the log church had arched windows because one was preserved and placed to the left of the wine-glass pulpit in the present church. The interior of the church was painted white because we have two wooden pegs which were saved when the church was demolished and the usable lumber taken to Palmyra in 1808.
After the log church served the congregation, which grew to 162 members in 48 years, it was felt advisable to build a larger, more permanent structure. The members committed themselves to subscriptions and solicited additional funds from their neighbors.
Approximately 400 subscribers of all faiths located in Derry, Londonderry, Annville and Hanover Townships donated from payments of two shillings to 40 pounds. These payments were to be made in three installments: on January 1, 1803; when the new church was under roof; and when it was completed. The cost of the whole building was 909 pound, 3 shilling and 1112 pence, or a little over $2424.50.
As a tribute to the everlasting integrity of the German settlers, records show that but 12 of the 400 (3%) failed to meet their obligation. One of those who failed to meet his payments was an ancestor of the writer; Thomas Oehrle (Earley) whose daughter, Anna, had just married Peter Eisenhaur. Peter's parents decided to move to Kansas and the young couple chose to go with them. Upon hearing of this, Thomas Oehrle decided to go with them and forget his church subscription. From the family line of Peter and Anna emerged Dwight David Eisenhaur
A feature of the exterior of the church is the laying the bricks which is seldom noted by visitors. In thetheir front of the building the bricks are laid in the for of the Flemish cross, while at the rear and either si of the structure the bricks are laid differently.
The interior of the church is designed in the form the Greek cross with a wine-glass pulpit at the apex In the middle of the church is a four-square communion railing fencing in a communion table that resembles a cube 3x3x3l/2 of wood, the top of which has been painted to imitate marble. The high gallery extends to full distance, on the right and t left, and at the rear. Wood columns, topped with Doric capitals, support it all the way around. Like t rest of the interior's woodwork, they resemble marble. High-backed narrow pews, all facing the center, form the sides and base of the cross.
In this setting the liturgical service is ably support by the congregation as the body of Christ. With the Pastor in the center, the worshippers practice their belief in the priesthood of all believers and in their oneness as the body of Christ. This stresses the responsibility of the lay folk to carry out the work of Him who has redeemed them. "All one body w makes participants, not spectators, of all worshippers. Fittingly, prayerfully, and earnestly entered by the people, the service is a sincere worship of God, who renews all life.
A canopied sounding board, with a painting of St. John the Evangelist on its base, is above the pulpit. is the only known wine-glass pulpit, with a sounding board, to be found in this area.
WITH 1745 COMMUNION SET
At the first communion in the new church the following appeared: John Zimmerman, Henry Zeigler, John Zeigler and wife, Peter Walborn, Jac Wagner, Catherine Tulipan, Catharine Schnock, Michael Stuckey, Mary Schmidt, George Sprecher, John Schnock and family, Michael Palm, Benoni and Margaret Pfui and son, Christian Earley (the great, great grandfather of the writer), John Neu, Jacob Mainzer, Henry Miller, Jacob Lautermilch, Martin Long, Christian Killinger, Andrew Kiefer, Jacob Kissner, Mary Kuefer, Eva Hufnagel, John Horst, Jacob Hauck, John Hauck and wife, Catherine Hufnagel, Samuel Hauck, Mary Goetz, John Deininger, Adam Deininger, George Carmini, John Bauman, Frederick Becker, John Bolden, etc. In all there were 66 communicants. It is certainly interesting to notice that many of the names familiar to us are found in Bindnagle's records.
A lock from the Bindnagle Lutheran Church will be included among some 350 objects chosen to represent Pennsylvania German Life in an exhibit in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. This lock was made in 1803 by John Rohrer of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. It is historically significant because it bears the inscription of the maker.
The offering at Bindnagle is still collected with the use of two "Klingelseck", or bell-bags on eight foot poles.
A rare pewter communion set is still in the possession of the Bindnagle Church. The tankard dated 1745 is the evidence of the formation of a congregation prior to the building of the first church.
Excerpted fromWe Love PALMYRA 225THAnniversary
One of the first attractions of particular drawing power was the Flying Horse Machine or the Merry-Go-Round. Mr. Kline owned a sawmill and with ingenious skill in planning or inventing, he began cutting out and painting horses to mount on the machine. It was run by a steam engine and was operated from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. at a cost of a nickel a ride.
Another example of the innovative ability of Mr. Kline was in using to the best advantage that which was at hand and was known as the Shooty-Chute. The Chute was built 60 feet into the tree-tops and sent the daring young men and boys hurtling through the air and crashing into the water with a tremendous splash.
One soon learned to separate oneself from the sled before entering the water, otherwise the rider could rattle every vertebra in his spinal column. This proved a great attraction for the more adventuresome young men and maidens.
A float was anchored in the deeper water which occasioned many a game of King-of-the-Hill. During quieter moments, the bather could stretch out on the float and enjoy the sun until some mischief-maker swam past and splashed cold water on the bather.
Those of a more sedate nature or more romantically inclined could enjoy a half-mile ride on a paddle boat named "Steamboat Annie" at a cost of a nickel a ride. Where the Raccoon Creek enters the Swatara, a channel was dug, permitting the boat to go beyond that point. On its return, the operator would pull the cord, sounding the steam whistle as they came roun t e en in t e cree is was a signal to the children to come running to the creek bank to witness Annie's return. Since the people of Lebanon had no facilities such as this, many patronized the Park. Mark Light had a number of busses and some Sunday afternoons he was known to bring four busloads to Valley Glen Park.
On many occasions, Milton S. Hershey brought factory employees to the Park for an outing. Church picnics and school functions, as well as social affairs enjoyed the Park. On one such trip, Paul Daub, of Palmyra, from whom much of this material was gleaned, heard his grandfather say to Mr. Hershey, as they were seated on a bench, "Milton, why don't you start a park on your hilly country where nothing can grow?" Mr. Kline's suggestion was accepted and Hershey Park is now the pride of Central Pennsylvania.
Another unusual feature of the Park was the Ice House. At the southern end of the Park, the Swatara was dammed in order to direct the water into the Union Canal. When the Canal was no longer used the dam remained. This area was highly regarded by fishermen. It was here, too, that Mr. Kline saw the possibilities of harvesting ice in the winter and storing it in the ice house. He built a windowless structure, 36 feet square, and this held a two year supply for summer use. The ice was hand-sawed into blocks two feet by four feet. The ice was then delivered by wheel-barrow throughout the park to the people occupying their cottages in the summer.
Excerpted fromWe Love PALMYRA 225THAnniversary
The Coming of Transportation
In 1816, a direct route from Reading to Harrisburg was begun and the turnpike, as it was called, passed through the center of our town. A station was also opened for the accommodations for weary travelers. This was located a few places west of the present day "Handy Market" on west Main Street.
Toll gates were important buildings along these roads because the collection of tolls assisted in better maintenance of the turnpike. One such building was located and is still standing at the Triangle west of the Lebanon County line on the right side of the road.
By 1926 this same route which had been named "The William Penn Highway" and had been given the route number of 22 was now concreted. To celebrate this accomplishment a parade was held in 1927 with all school children participating.
THE TROLLEY ARRIVES FROM LEBANON
William Penn had the foresight to suggest that a canal could join the Schuylkill and Susquehanna Rivers. Nothing materialized until 1791 when the SchuylkillSusquehanna Canal Company was formed.
Many people were opposed to the building of a canal because of varied reasons. Nevertheless the canal was begun and it brought jobs of all descriptions to the area.
After many problems such as insufficient funds, misuse of funds, numerous delays, the main canal was finished by 1827. This canal was eighty-two (82) miles long and was named "The Union Canal."
A landing was located at Lyonsville which is only a few miles north of Palmyra. This was very good for the business of our town. Supplies such as saddles, carts, gunpowder and food were in demand. It also provided jobs: blacksmiths, carpenters, and stone masons, to name a few.
November 30, 1857 was an important date in the history of railroads for Palmyra. It was on this day that fact the first train with passenger cars attached rumbled through our town. It was called the "Lebanon Valley" and was under the supervision of the Philadelphia and Reading Company. This gave us direct routes to Harrisburg, Reading and Philadelphia, as well as proving to be an economic boost for our community.
In 1899 the "Lebanon Valley Street Railway Company" was formed in order to provide trolley service to the towns to the east and west of Lebanon. By 1904 this service reached Palmyra and now Palmyra residents could travel on the trolleys to Myerstown or Schaefferstown. By now the "Hershey Trolley Company" had built a line from Hershey to meet the Lebanon trolley at the "Square" in Palmyra. This trolley connection would last until 1933 when the Lebanon system gave way to busses.
The Hershey trolley line also had service to Lebanon via Campbelltown and Fontana. In 1940 busfare from Palmyra to Lebanon was 25 cents. If time was not of the essence, one would take the Hershey line and travel through the pleasant countryside and for this excursion you would pay 20 cents from Palmyra.
Service on the trolleys would begin at 5:30 in the morning and the last Hershey car would pass through Palmyra at 12:30 at night.
On December 21, 1946, the Hershey line made its last run at midnight. For those of us who stood at the "Square" that cold nostalgic night, we realized that an important mode of travel in our lives had become history.
READING STATION IN PALMYRA
Excerpted fromWe Love PALMYRA 225THAnniversary
Education In Palmyra
1st HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING
It was in use for 40 years. The names of two teachers of this school have been preserved for us: Abraham Philips, Esq., and Alexander Dasher, a third teacher may have been Benjamin German, who afterwards took up the ministry in the Lutheran Church. During the same period a school was conducted in a one story log house located on the north side of the old Derry Road, about 400 feet beyond the point where it branches off from the highway. Adam Grittinger was a teacher in this school in the year 1826.
An old copy book, held by the Horstick family has in it the name of Joseph Horstick, the date January 26, 1826 and the sentence, "He is sitting beside John Karmony, at the time, I go to Grittingers."
About the year 1840 two buildings were erected, one a stone structure on the rear of a lot on the north side of West Main Street in the 400 block; the other, a brick building, located several hundred feet directly south of the first stone building.
These were a part of the State system of free public schools. Pupils attending school in one of these buildings one year would attend sessions in the other building the next year. Teachers in the
Stone building were Mary Pennypacker, in 1855, the sister of the late Governor Pennypacker; her cousin, Emma Boyles of Phoenixville, year 1856; A. Frank Seltzer, later known as Colonel Seltzer, 1859; John Grumbein, 1860; David Shope, 1861. Henry Boeshore, Jerome Henry, Jerome Deininger, William Siechrist, and Allen B. Gross, also taught in the Stone building, although we have not designated the years. Among those who taught in the Brick School were: Aaron E. Wiedman ' 1846 Darius Seltzer, 1854; Louisa Hamilton; Joseph E. Jackson, 1858; D. Balsbaugh, 1850; Mr. Hofford, Sallie Earnest, Lucretia Early, Henry Yohey, Amos Zimmerman, Mr. Irwin, and John Heagy.
The next school house erected was a building of four rooms. This was in the year 1874, though two of the rooms were not occupied until several years later. Among those who taught in this building were: Conrad A. Horstick, Christian Metzler, John Witmer, Hannibal Hartz, Willis Harpe, Ida Landis, Frank Hartz, and John Alleman.
PALMYRA ACADEMY - BUILT 1857
The career of the Academy from the beginning was a prosperous one. It was well patronized by the citizens of Palmyra and vicinity, and received year students from adjoining states.
It was at that time the principal institution of learning in this part of the state, and was celebrated as a preparatory school for young men and women who desired to enter college, and ; despite the excellence of the free schools, its higher grade of learning retained for it its early prestige.
Many of the early public school teachers in Lebanon and the counties adjoining received their professional training here. Boys and girls, young men and women - several thousand in number - received their early training and education at Witmer's Academy.
Long after the free school system had been introduced, it retained its early prestige until owing to failing health, Mr. Witmer closed its doors never to be reopened again as an educational institution.
In 1890 the school was abandoned and during the nine years following, 1890-1899, the building was used mainly as a town hall.
With the formation of a Borough Government, and the continuing increase in population, other changes had to be made to meet the needs of the community. The Palmyra Borough School District was formed in 1913 when the Board of Directors of North Londonderry Township relinquished control of the schools of Palmyra Borough. Sitting on the board of school directors at their initial meeting on December 3, 1913, were: Amos Snavely, President; M.R. Fisher, M.D., Secretary; and members J. A. Schriver, J. A. Detweiler, and C.F. Yoder.
On January 21, 1914 the directors decided to erect a school building on South Railroad Street. Following the approval of a $70,000 bond issue, the building was completed and dedicated on October 12, 1915. Among the speakers were Gov. Martin G. Brumbaugh, Henry Hauck, Secretary Internal Affairs, and County Superintendent John W. Snoke. This building is no longer in existence as it was demolished to make way for the Interfaith Manor which houses elderly residents of Palmyra.
The building on South Railroad Street served the needs of the community for its public school, grades one through twelve until the end of the 1936-37 school term.
The secondary school of Palmyra Borough received classification as a six year Junior-Senior High School in 1928. This school provided secondary school education not only for the Borough of Palmyra, but also for the Township of North Londonderry, whose pupils attended on a tuition basis.
The spring of 1937 marked the completion of a new Junior-Senior High School building on West Cherry Street under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works at a cost of $260,000. With the beginning of the 1937-38 school term, this building housed grades seven through twelve and the Railroad Street Building grades one through six.
Members of the Board of Directors at this time of were: D. LeRoy Spitler, Harry E. Clark, A. D. Ulrich, Dr. William H. MacEwen, and M. M. Moyer.
Following the census of 1940, Palmyra Borough was classified as a third class school district, indicating a population in excess of 4,000 but less than 30,000.
JUNIOR-SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL - BUILT 1937
The members of the boards of the two former districts formed the Board of Directors of the new school district. Comprising the board were Cyrus J. Forney, Rev. Melvin E. Patrick, Perry D. Bicksler, J. Early Stauffer, Harold E. Cockley, J. Nissley Imboden, and Henry H. Mark from Palmyra Borough; and Casper E. Arndt, Dr. Homer Forney, Allen G. Bucher, Clair Seltzer and Claude Bomgardner from North Londonderry Township. Dr. Homer Forney served as the first President of the new Board.
On July 2, 1956 the Palmyra Area School District and the School District of South Londonderry Township agreed to jointly operate their schools. Harold E. Cockley, Dr. Homer Forney, Claude Bomgardner, Henry H. Mark, Cyrus J. Forney, J. Early Stauffer, Perry D. Bicksler, Paul E. Hershey, Allen G. Bucher, and Casper E. Arndt from Palmyra Area and Clarence Kegerreis, Mark Hitz, C.E. Gingrich, Herbert S. Straub and Clair E. Stoner from South Londonderry Township comprised the Joint Board with Harold E. Cockley serving as the first president.
It was apparent to the School Board that the increased size of the school area, as well as the steadily increasing population required additional school facilities. Consequently, in February of 1957, the Palmyra Area Joint School Authority was formed to finance and construct the needed improvements. Comprising the Authority were Louis S. Alspach, Chairman; Rev. Warren E. Adams, Harold H. Herr, Victor Hoffer, and G. Wilbur Gibble.
The Forge Street Elementary School, comprising -14 classrooms and situated on a 13 acre tract of land, was completed and occupied on October 20, 1958. The bond issue for this building was $597,000.
During the 1959-60 school term, a project involving the complete renovation of the Railroad and Cherry Street buildings, as well as the building of an addition thereto, was completed. The bond issue for this project was $1,842,000. The Railroad Street Building housed Junior High students; the Cherry Street Building housed Senior High students; and the addition common facilities to be used by both.
The construction of the Pine Street Elementary School was completed for occupancy in September, 1961. The 20 classroom construction carried a bond issue of $845,000.
NEW PALMYRA SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
The Northside Elementary School was occupied in September, -1967. the 16 classroom building had a bond issue of $1,050,000. Six years later construction of the Palmyra Area High School was completed at a cost of $6,100,000. The 1972-73 school year marked the closing of the Campbelltown School and the property was transferred to the South Londonderry Township in December, 1973.
Labor and Industry condemned the Railroad Street Building in 1978. The District sold the building to the Palmyra Council of Churches who in turn razed the building and constructed the Interfaith Manor, senior citizen housing.
A ten room addition to the Cherry Street Building was completed in September 1981. The Lawn Elementary Building was sold during the summer of 1981. Since 1981 the District has housed grades K-.5 in the Pine Street, Forge Road and Northside Elementary Schools, grades 6-9 in the Middle School on Cherry Street and grades 10-12 in the Palmyra Area High School.
The following men have served the schools of the Palmyra community in the capacity of Chief School Administrator: C. S. Crumbling, 1912--17; M. M. Metzger, 1918; C.F. Harnish, 1919-1927; R.E. Hartz, 1927-1956; William H. Bolger, 1956-1976; and Dr. James L. Dell, 1976 to the present.
At the present time the Palmyra Area School District has an enrollment of 2610. The District employs 157 professional employees and 95 non certificated personnel. The 1984-8,5 educational budget is $8,076,824.
The Palmyra Area School District has been built on a solid foundation.
Excerpted from We Love PALMYRA 225THAnniversary
History of Palmyra
The land on which Palmyra now stands was originally inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indians to whom the white man gave the name Delawares, who were members of the Algonquin family. This Indian tribe once enjoyed great dignity and power. Other Algonquin tribes settling in Pennsylvania were the Shawnees, the Nanticokes and Conoys. Tribes of the Iroquoian family of Indians living in Pennsylvania were the Susquehannocks, the Conestogas, and the Tuscaroras.
The first white men came into this area about 1650, or before, and were explorers or traders. The explorers were mainly concerned with scouting the new territory and gathering first-hand information for the future purchase of tracts of land. The traders were concerned mainly with trade with the Indians. They carried with them the usual stock of trading goods such as blankets, beads, kettles, iron axes, guns, etc. to trade for the pelts of fur bearing animals.
It has been said that a trading post with a stockade built by Indian traders was located several hundred yards north of the 300 block of West Main Street. Early citizens tell of a pond, and the outlines of a stockade could be seen years ago. A study of the cultural remains of the Indian campsites with their arrow points, axes and tools gives proof of the various tribes who used this valley as a hunting ground.
The only remaining thing to remind us of the Indian inhabitation of the area is the names they gave to the streams and mountains - Swatara Creek, the Indian name Swahadowry, corrupted from Schada-dawa, means in Susquehanna Indian "where we feed on eels" - Quitapahilla Creek, corrupted from Cuitpehelle, meaning "a spring that flows from the ground among pines" - Kittatiny hills, corrupted from Kittochtiny, a Delaware word meaning "the endless hills." There were several reasons why the early settlers were drawn to this area to build their homes and raise their families. The first was the traders who went back to the established settlements with glowing accounts of the good rich land and pure streams with fish and game in abundance. Another reason was the desire of William Penn to found a colony of small independent farmers. In his advertisements of his promise in the Eastern European countries, he stressed the opportunity for a poor man to own land. In addition, Penn's charter of civil rights and freedom of religion appealed to those people who desired these rights and were living in virtual serfdom.
OLD DERRY CHURCH
BUILT A.D. 1720
The Scotch-Irish were Scotchmen who had migrated to Ireland under Elizabeth and James 1, but as time passed they became dissatisfied with the rule of the English authorities and the native Irish. They came to America in large numbers because of political, religious, and economic reasons, although the economic reason was the most compelling. They were a hardy, self-reliant and courageous people who adapted to the wilderness and the frontier, and they preferred that way of life. They led the westward advance of settlements and therefore were the first line of defense against the Indians. Being of a restless nature, and not mixing well with the German element, they moved westward into Cumberland County. They were political minded and took an active interest in government once they were established. They were Presbyterians, and you can trace their movements from Philadelphia westward by the churches they built on the way, Donegal in Lancaster County, Paxtang near Harrisburg, Derry at Hershey, and Silver Spring near Carlisle.
Over the passing years most all of the Scotch-Irish have died away or moved to another part of the state. There are few indeed today in the Palmyra area who can trace their ancestry to the Scotch-Irish who settled here. Many of these early settlers are buried at Old Derry Church and on the "Old English" cemetery near Grantville.
The following were early settlers - David Mitchell, John Campbell, Henry Walker, George Aspey, James Caruthers, Thomas Ewing, Widow McCallen, William Sawyer, James Wilson, James Galbraith, John McCord, Robert McClure, and many others.
The Pennsylvania Germans, or German Palatinates, came from Germany, and have been commonly called the Pennsylvania Dutch. These Germans came to Pennsylvania for religious, Political, and economic reasons. Politically they were oppressed, they were economically poor, and they were severely persecuted for their religious beliefs. Like the ScotchIrish the Germans were clannish, and from the beginning tried to keep to themselves. Throughout Pennsylvania land the prevailing language was German, that, and the differences of religion kept the Germans from mixing either with the English or Scotch-Irish. Most of the German immigrants were farmers, and as a class they flourished best in rural sections. They were not politically minded and let the Quakers run the government. To them farming was a way of life, not merely a means of livelihood. The contributions of the Germans was the promotion of agriculture, in which they excelled all other groups. They were conservative, religious, frugal, and hard working people who lived close to the soil and added an element of strength to the state and nation.
Unlike the Scotch-Irish, the Pennsylvania Germans stayed on the land they loved, and it is not uncommon even today to find farms that have been handed down from father to son for several generations. It is also true that many of the present citizens of this area can claim these original German immigrants as their ancestors.
The following were early settlers - John Deininger, John Ober, John Bindnagle, John Early, Joseph Carmany, Michael Killinger, Johannes Bowman, Jacob Naftzger, Jacob Ricker, Joseph Forney, Anthony Hemperly, John Nye, Hans Kettering, John Gingerich, John Zimmerman, and many others.
From the time of Braddock's defeat at the hands of the French and Indians in 1755 - up until 1783, one of the hazards of the early pioneer farmer was fear o an Indian attack. Every rod of ground had to be cleared with an ax and held with the rifle. Fear of a Indian attack tried the stoutest hearts. Although the settlers in the foothills of the Blue Mountains marked the limit of actual settlement on the part of the white man, the early settlers of Palmyra were close to the mountains and had reason to fear an Indian attack.
These Indian raiding parties, of from 5 to 20 indians usually in the dead of night fell upon a homestead, scalped the older members of the family, took the children captive, and burned the buildings, retreating back into the mountains. Even men working in the fields in the daytime had armed guards to protect them while at work.
Rupp and Egle in their histories of Lebanon Count list many outrages in the area between Manada and Indiantown Gap along the mountain. It was necessary to build defenses for these Indian raids, and in 1756 the Provincial government built a chain of forts along the Blue Mountains from the Susquehanna at Harrisburg to the Delaware at Easton at distances of from 10-15 miles apart, especially at the gaps in the mountain. These forts usually consisted of a stockade of heavy planks enclosing several block houses which served as quarters for the troops and refuge for the settlers.
It was the duty of the garrison of these forts to patrol the distances between the forts; always on the alert for Indians. There was one such fort erected in what is now Lebanon County. The site is near Inwood named Fort Swatara. Captain Frederick Smith was given orders on January 16, 1756 to build a fort at this place, and any additional works as he might think necessary to make it strong and easy to defend.
The French and Indian War came to an end, and with it came an end to the Indian raids and the soldiers and settlers could return to the more peaceful pursuits of clearing more land and building larger houses and barns.
| DR. JOHN PALM
A brief story of the life of Dr. John Palm is worthy of our attention. He was the eldest son of Matthias and Sybylla Palm, born in Heilbronn, in the Electorate of Brandenburg, in the Kingdom of Bavaria, July 15, 1713 (according to Bindnagle Church Record) not in 1718 according to his pass in 1742. About the year 1739 he took up residence at Backnag, near Stuttgard, in Wurtemberg, where he married Christiana Dorothea Kern, August 2, 1740. His parents being poor, he worked in a stocking factory for several years.
He left his native country for America and arrived at the port of Philadelphia August 11, 1750, as a passenger of the "Ship Patience" under Captain Hugh Steel, from Rotterdam, late from Cowes in England. Bindnagle Church record has his arrival in 1749.
He first settled in the upper part of New Jersey, in the vicinity of Elizabeth and Springfield. His first wife having died, he married Catharine Salome Fenger about the year 1754. She died in 1764.
On June 17, 1766 he secured his 100 acre tract of land from Conrad Raisch, it being the third transfer of title since the time it was surveyed to Johannes Deininger in 1751. This tract can be located today roughly by the boundaries of North Railroad Street on the east, West Maple Street on the south, and the Dauphin County line on the west. The house stood about the center of the 100 block on West Main Street.
When the Revolutionary War broke out he was too old to take an active part in the battle, although he was at the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777. He was probably attached to General Green's Division, which was posted as a reserve, between Sullivan and Wayne, to reinforce either division as circumstances might require. He used to relate how Washington, on a white horse, came riding up, encouraging his men. On the 27th of September, 1777 he took the Oath of Allegiance and Fidelity, under the Act of Legislature of 1777 before Justice of-the-Peace John Thome.
About the year 1785 or 1790, Dr. Palm was married a third time, to Elizabeth Williams, a widow. She was born in Germany, probably about the year 1733. Her life was quite an eventful one, as will appear from the following, taken from the History of Berks and Lebanon Counties, page 72. "Hanover, Lancaster Co., Pa., August 11th, 1757 ... Monday, 8th. On Wednesday we intended to rest, but at about 12 o'clock had another alarm. Near Benhamin Clarke house, four miles from the mill, two indians surprised Isaac Williams's wife and the WIDOW WILLIAMS. They killed and scalped the former, in sight of the house. She having run a little way, after three balls had been shot through her body. The latter they carried away as a captive."
In the Colonial Records for 1762, at page 750, Vol. VIII, the following account is given of her restoration. "At a conference with the Northern Indians, held at Lancaster, on Thursday, the 19th of, August, 1762.... the Conference then broke up, and the Governor, his Council, and the Commissioners, went with some Indian Chiefs, to the Court House, to receive the prisoners. Whence having come, the Governor, acquainted Thomas King, that he was ready to receive the prisoners from him, and that they need not be under apprehensions of being used ill, for that he should be kind to them, and treat them like children and restore them to their parents and relatives. Then they delivered to Lt. Governor Hamilton, Esq., (under Hon. Thomas Penn and Richard Penn, Proprietors of the Province of Pennsylvania) at the hands of King Beaver, ELIZABETH WILLIAMS, a young woman, delivered up by Mussause, a Muncy Indian; also Henry Williams about 18 years, a half brother (?) to Elizabeth Williams, delivered by Canyhocheratoquin, a Munch." She had, therefore, been a captive amongst the Delaware or Lenni Lenape tribe, for five years. An account of her restoration to her friends, is also given in the History of Berks and Lebanon Counties, on page 345. After her marriage to Dr. Palm, he, often in a playful way, called her his "Indian Squaw." She died at the house of William Early, near Palmyra, November 25 or 26, 1815.
Dr. John Palm's three marriages resulted in these children: John George Palm, Jr., a son of the first marriage; William, Peter, Jacob, Nicholas, Andrew, and Mary, children of his second marriage; and Tobias, only child of the third marriage. Several other children born to the family died in infancy.
He had an extensive practice, and owing to the country being thinly settled, it was very laborious. Patients frequently came from long distances to consult Dr. Palm. The medicines he used were mostly of vegetable extraction. Having an extensive laboratory he prepared most of his medicines. He distilled his own essential oils, waters, etc. from herbs and flowers. He was a contemporary of Linnaeus, Cullen, DeHaen, Sauwages, and Vn Sweiten. His medical works were mostly by German authors. One of his books, in possession of Dr. 0. R. Palm, (in 1870), a work on Materia Medica, is probably 300 years old. On the inside of the cover is a record of his birth, death, and place of nativity. In his Pass of February 24, @1771 he is described as being "24 years of age, medium size, light hair, and wearing a brown coat, etc." He was baptized and confirmed into the Lutheran Church. He died at Palmyra on April 25, 1799, at the age of 85 years, 9 months, after having practiced medicine in this country for almost 50 years.
In order that the location of the grave of Dr. John Palm would not be lost to posterity, the first plain headstone having long ago crumbled and weathered away, another marker was unveiled at the gravesite at Bindnagle Cemetery on Sunday, July 24, 1932. The program was under the auspices of American Legion Post No. 72 with appropriate ceremonies. Mrs. S. M. Aument of Montoursville, PA, a great-great-great-great granddaughter of Dr. Palm unveiled the new marker, and the Hon. G. H. Moyer delivered the address.
To further assure that the name of Dr. John Palm would be remembered by the citizens of the town he founded, a massive memorial boulder was erected on a triangle on South Railroad Street on Sunday, November 20, 1932, under the combined efforts of the Washington Bi-Centennial Committee, and the Lebanon County Historical Society. Prominent persons from Harrisburg, Washington, D.C. and New Jersey were present, and stirring speeches were made to a crowd of over 1,000 persons. Dr. Cyrus H. Leslie, the town's last surviving Civil War veteran, at the age of 91, unveiled the boulder. Dr. Howard Palm, Camden, New Jersey, a direct descendant of Dr. John Palm, and Mrs. E. S. Nissley of Harrisburg, PA, a descendant of the Palm family on both her father and mother's side, were present at the ceremony.
THE WASHINGTON TAVERN
Most of the early settlers built along the Hill Road north of Palmyra, leading from Millerstown (now Annville) to Derry and on to Harris Ferry. The road from the Bindnagle area to the settlement at Campbelltown crossed this east to west road and then passed through Palmyra. Another of the main routes to and from Palmyra was the Downingtown, Ephrata, and Harrisburg Pike, now commonly known as the "Horseshoe Pike." Over this road the farmers took their grain and produce to Philadelphia and brought back merchandise for the shopkeepers.
A direct route through the valley from Reading to Harrisburg, known as the Berks and Dauphin Turnpike, was opened to traffic in 1817. The turnpike went over the only street of the village, now West Main Street. With the opening of this road came more traffic, the stagecoach carrying passengers and U.S. Mail. With the traffic came increased activity, livery stables and blacksmith shops to care for the horses, and taverns to provide food, drink and lodging for the travelers.
During this period Palmyra had five taverns; Casper Dasher Hostelry, Washington House, Lineweaver House, Rodearmel Inn, and the Philip Matter House' All these taverns were located on West Main Street between the 100 and 700 blocks. They were built b y or before the year 1800. Later, several other hotels were opened: the Railroad House on North Railroad Street near the Reading Railroad, the Eagle Hotel where Lee's 5 & 104 Store stood, and the Washington House and the American House, both on West Main Street.
With the passage of time came the demand for more speed and greater tonnage which resulted in the building of the Union Canal several miles north of the community. The Union Canal connected the Schuylkill River at Reading with the Susquehanna River at Middletown. It was completed in 1827 and store houses were built along its banks. An extensive traffic in lumber, grain, coal, iron ore, gypsum, and merchandise were carried, and in a peak year 267,307 tons were transported. The farmers and merchants in the Palmyra area benefited by the cheaper and faster service.
With the coming of the steam age came another change in travel and transportation. On November 30, 1857 a crowd of curious townspeople lined the railroad tracks as the great "Iron Horse" . . "with whistle tooting, bell ringing, and belch-clouds of black smoke" . . . thundered through Palmyra on the newly built Lebanon Valley Railroad. Two years later it merged with the Philadelphia and Reading Company and was later renamed the Reading Railroad.
The coming of the railroad sounded the death knell for the Union Canal and the Berks and Dauphin Turnpike as a toll road. The railroad brought cheaper and faster methods of transporting people and goods.
As the town grew, stores and small business establishments were opened. Joseph Horstick, son of Conrad, kept a store on what was known as the Witmer property on West Main Street. The building has since been torn down and dismantled. The account books of the store from 1813-1825 show the price and type of goods sold at a typical country store. The books are now in the Library of the Lebanon County Historical Society, through the courtesy of the Horstick family.
Other stores and business establishments were opened: Brunner Carriage Shop, John Henry Plow Factory, Stahle Wooden Farm Implements, Snoddy Wheelwright Shop, Forney-Troxell Furniture and Cabinet Shop (later known as Wm. A. Henry, Furnutre and Undertaking), saddle and harness shops, tailor shops, and the Hemperly Organ Factory.
It is quite evident that most of these small business establishments were necessary to the life of a small rural farming community. However, after the Civil War period, a change is noted in the types of business being established. A large grain warehouse was built on North Railroad Street (now Curry's Mill). The first newspaper was printed in 1878 by John M. Hoffa called "The Londonderry Gazette." A lumber and planing mill was opened to satisfy the need for new buildings. To take care of the financial affairs of the community, the Palmyra Bank opened its doors for business in 1887. A large abbatoir was built and it furnished meats to Palmyra and the surrounding area. In 1888 the first shoe factory, the Palmyra Boot & Shoe Co., was formed. Several years later the W. L. Kreider Sons, the J. Landis Shoe Co. and the A. S. Kreider Shoe Co., were also making shoes. There was a knitting mill, a paper box factory, the Annville & Palmyra Gas & Fuel Co., the Eagle Bakery, a bottling works, a dray line, flour and feed mill, and a Market House.
The first chore of the early settler, after the primary tasks of building a home, clearing the land, and insuring a food supply, was the building of a church. After the church was built, a school house followed. The Pennsylvania Germans,'Iike the Scotch-Irish, respected and encouraged education, although they believed that education was related to the church, not the state.
OLD SESSIONS HOUSE
At Derry the Scotch-Irish Presbyterians established a church and school as early as 1732. The Old Sessions House in which the school is said to have been held is still standing and is now enclosed in glass.
In 1805 the Honorable John Kean erected a stone school building, about 34 by 36 feet, which stood 200 feet south of West Main Street and 100 feet west of South Locust Street. This building remained in use for about 40 years. The names of two teachers have been preserved for us: Abraham Philip, Esq., and Alexander Dasher.
During the same period a log school house was used which was located on the Derry Road about 400 feet beyond the point where it branches off the highway. Adam Grittinger was a teacher in this school.
About the year 1840 two buildings were erected: one a stone structure, the other brick, on the rear of a lot on the north side of West Main Street in the 400 block. These schools were a part of the State system of free public schools. In 1874 a larger brick four room school house was built on West Main Street.
In addition to the public schools the Palmyra Academy, or Witmer Academy was opened in 1857, and continued until the year 1890. The building stood at the corner of Main and College Streets where the First United Brethren, now the Evangelical Congregational Church stands. This was a private school, founded and supervised by Professor Peter B. Witmer. When the school was at the height of its prosperity, there were usually 100 or more pupils during the spring term, and 60 or more during the fall term. The school had an excellent rating as a preparatory school for those pupils who desired to enter college. Many young men and women of this area received their early training and education at Witmers Academy
There is agreement among the early writers that the town was first named Palmstown, in honor of Dr. John Palm. Martin Early, in his "History of Palmyra", states that when the Post Office was established April 1, 1804, the name of the village was Palmstown. In the autobiography of Honorable John Kean, we find that he called it Palmyra in 1805. just when and why the name was changed has been obscured with the passage of time. Perhaps in the future some evidence will be found that will answer these questions.
For more than 100 years Palmyra depended on springs, wells, and ponds for its supply of water. There were five pumps that might have been called public wells or pumps. All of these had wooden pump stocks and were suction or lift pumps with two boxes or buckets. All of these pumps were located west of the square from Locust Street to Lingle Avenue. As the town began to grow, a serious water problem arose as seen by an act of the legislature to raise money by a lottery, to bring water to Palmyra.
RAILROAD HOUSE AND STREET
Section 1. Be it enacted, etc., That John Elder, Matthew Irwin, Daniel Wonderlich, John Ernst, John Downy and Levi G. Hollingsworth be and they are hereby appointed Commissioners to raise, by way of lottery, a sum not exceeding three thousand dollars, for the purpose of procuring and bringing into the said village a sufficient supply of water for the use of the inhabitants thereof, and be it further enacted by the authority aforesaid;
Section 2. That before the said commissioners proceed to sell any tickets in said lottery, they shall lay such scheme therefore before the Governor as shall meet his approbation, and shall enter into bonds to him for the faithful performance of their duty in selling the tickets, drawing the lottery, and paying the prizes, and paying over the net proceeds of the lottery.
And each of them, before entering on the duties of their appointment, shall take and subscribe an oath or affirmation diligently and faithfully to perform the duties hereby instructed to him ' and at least three of the said Commissioners shall attend the drawing of each day. And when the whole is completed shall cause an accurate list of the fortunate numbers to be published in one newspaper at Harrisburg and one at Lebanon, etc.
Section 3. And be it further ... That Levi G. Hollingsworth, Daniel Wonderlich, Henry Longenecker, John Kean and Joseph Carmany be and they are hereby appointed Trustees to receive from the Commissioners aforesaid the net amount of the monies raised by the lottery, and it shall be their duty also to devise and plan and cause to be dug, made and executed such works, machinery and engines as will lead and procure from Derry Meeting House spring, or elsewhere, such supply of water as many be sufficient for the use of said village." THOMAS McKEAN, Governor
The citizens of Palmyra have always responded to the call of their country in time of war. On Bindnagles Cemetery are the marked graves of eleven men who took part in the Revolutionary War. Dr. John Palm, George Frantz, Jacob Lentz, Gottfried Zimmerman, Johannes Zimmerman, Johannes Schnoke (Snoke), Michael Maulvier (Maulfair), John Michael Malvier (Maulfair). Jacob Leyman (Lehman), Benoi Pew, and Frederick Horstick.
Less than 100 years later the citizens of Palmyra were again called upon to serve their country. With the fall of Fort Sumter in 1861, President Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers to preserve the Union. About 78 of Palmyra's citizens laid down their tools and donned the uniform of the Boys in Blue.
As earlier writer of Palmyra's history calls the growth of the village of Palmstown as phenomenal. Estimates by I.D. Rupp and Rev. J.W. Early estimate the population at 150-165 persons and some 20 dwellings in 1845. By 1875 the population had increased to 500 persons and about 100 dwellings. It is interesting to note that most of these people lived on two streets; West Main Street and North Railroad Street. By 1890 the population of Palmyra is listed at 1,768 persons. The growth of Palmyra has truly been amazing.
Excerpted from We Love PALMYRA 225THAnniversary
Facts About Palmyra
Palmyra is a borough in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, United States.
Palmyra is located at 40°18?29?N 76°35?38?W? / ?40.307960°N 76.593782°W? / 40.307960; -76.593782 (40.307960, -76.593782).
Palmyra is located in the Lebanon Valley between Annville and Hershey. Situated on the western edge of Lebanon County, the borough is 10 mi (16 km) west of Lebanon, and 17 mi (27 km) east of Harrisburg. The village of Campbelltown is only 2 mi (3 km) south of Palmyra.
Palmyra celebrated its 250th Anniversary in 2010. The logo design, which is modeled on the Pennsylvania state seal and features the official orange and black colors of the Palmyra School District.
Palmyra in Popular Culture
The 2000 film Lucky Numbers, starring John Travolta had multiple scenes shot throughout Palmyra. The main street of town was closed to traffic so that scenes could be shot. Dozens of onlookers watched Lisa Kudrow and Travolta cruise through the square in a red convertible.
Due to its position between Harrisburg and Lebanon, and the popularity of neighboring Hershey, Palmyra is economically prosperous. Palmyra is the headquarters for several companies, including ASK Foods, Inc., Dechert Dynamics Corp.,Klick-Lewis, Inc., and the Palmyra Bologna Co., Inc., which produces Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna
Palmyra consists of six schools; Four elementary (Lingle Avenue, Forge Road, Pine Street, and Northside) and two secondary (High School and Middle School). The district opened its fourth elementary school "Lingle Avenue Elementary" in the 2011-12 school year. The school is located south of Palmyra on Lingle Avenue in the 2011-12 school year. It will houses a kindergarten center as well as grades 1-5.
Since its formation the district has served the Borough of Palmyra, and both North and South Londonderry Townships, including the villages of Campbelltown, Lawn and Mt. Gretna. The Palmyra Area School District currently operates three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. All school buildings are located within the Borough of Palmyra, with the exception of the high school, which is just outside the borough limits in North Londonderry Township.
Map of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania highlighting Palmyra
|- Total||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|Elevation||456 ft (139 m)|
|- Density||3,814.3/sq mi (1,473.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|